Thursday, November 18, 2010

What is this 'Hardcore' business about?

Some of you who have stumbled upon this obscure virtual page may be wondering, 'Why metal?' And to some extent, I find the question justified.  At times I've had to step back and ask myself the very same.  I'm not really all that hardcore in the grand scheme of things.. Yet over the years I've come to forge an unbreakable bond with this perpetual underdog of the music world.

At its very core, metal is protest. It stand in firm opposition to the powers that be. Metal essentially sends an unapologetic "Fuck you!" to the cultural norms of the day, whatever what those constantly changing norms are. This mentality is what keeps metal, or at least what some people consider true metal, on the fringes of society. It is not widely embraced, nor does it want to be. Metal exists in a sort of self-imposed exile; doomed to rage eternally against the unhearing, unthinking majority. Why else do you think commercial success causes such uproar in the underground mental community? 'Sellout' is perhaps one of the most common epithets thrown about. It's a sign of catering to the homogenization and declawing of music.

But where do I, your humble blogger, fit into this labyrinth of decibels and hatred? Well, being a stereotypically disillusioned teen, I felt the world was against me, or at least that I was somehow outside of its benevolence. This perceived isolation blossomed into a certain amount of disdain for conformity and complacency. Angry music proved to be the perfect compliment for these sentiments. The progression of my musical interests went something like this: 90's radio rock --> Hard rock --> Emo/Screamo --> Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth --> Melodic Death Metal --> Death Metal --> Punk/Hardcore/Black Metal/Post-Metal/Indie Folk and so on. The rebellious nature of the music was something I could cling to, even if my white  middle-class angst was essentially fabricated from massive misconceptions about the world. Yet as I grew, so too did my understanding of the issues addressed in heavy music. I distrust politics, hypocritical Christians and anything involving Justin Bieber. Basically, I got into metal somewhat ignorantly, but soon found it perfectly suited to my beliefs. Or perhaps it subconsciously formed many of my opinions. There may well be truth in both explanations.

Then there's the fact that metal is the perfect tool for self-medication. It's fairly easy to blow off some steam while listening to a Suffocation album. Yet don't be lulled into thinking that metal is a single-speed crushing machine. The massive number of finicky sub genres can cater to your every mood. If you're feeling lonely, but also very classy, why not throw on Opeth's album Damnation? Or if you don't feel like having a guy lacerate his throat in your general direction, but still want that metal ambiance, then Russian Circles, Pelican, Levi/Werstler are ready to render their services. And nothing makes you feel like an invincible motherfucker like a Hatebreed album. Even if they all sound the same. The versatility is something rarely recognized by those outside of the genre. They really throw the baby out with the bathwater on that one. Metalheads are a creative bunch, and are always trying to differentiate themselves further from the field. The emotional content is by no means limited to anger, and I think I lot of people fail to recognize its richness. And as a timely seasonal suggestion, Burzum makes for great holiday music. Frost-bitten winters have never felt so warm.

All that said, I'm by no means foolish enough to believe that my powers of persuasion are such that a passerby would dare give Burzum a spin. Metal is an ugly son-of-a-bitch. It seems only certain individuals are able to tame it for their own listening pleasure. While it may be true of all musical genres that it involves a deep emotional connection, this fact is indisputable with metal. Fans are branded and bonded for life. Metalheads will tell you that they're in it for the long haul and it's not just a passing trend. In the end it's something you feel in your heart. I know it's certainly true for me. Even if the reasons I provided for my induction into the metal fold are less than compelling, it doesn't matter. I love it through the blood, sweat and blastbeats.

No comments:

Post a Comment