Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday Madness

As I'm sure you're all aware, today is Black Friday: the day when the flame of completely superfluous consumerism burns most brightly. Personally, I find myself ashamed of all these rabid 4a.m. sale shoppers. Is this really what our culture is about? Need I remind anyone that an unassuming employee was trampled to death in the crazed rush last holiday season? While I could complain more, I'll simply leave you with some friendly advice:

You don't need all that crap.

Try putting a bit of emotion into your gifts this year. Make something by hand, make it personal. Or at least support local artists and artisans who are dying to ply their trades. Source your gifts from the immediate area, it'll help keep your money in closer circulation. Fashion your own recycled wrapping paper from newspaper or other such items. These sorts of things tend to hold their value a bit better than that new phone that will quickly be outdated by something else with more gadgets attached. Don't fall into that cycle of seeking the latest and greatest. It will lead you nowhere. Just try to reconsider your gifting practices this year. That's all I ask.

As for me, I'm going to spend my Black Friday on the trails of Pt. Reyes, far removed from the madness of consumerism. I urge you to find similar shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment