Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Update

So I've been lax with the whole posting thing lately. But I make no apologies for that. The way I see it, living life in the real world takes precedence over daily posting. Just be aware of that, and perhaps consider it next time the sun is shining outside.

Anyways, it's Thanksgiving time. Families may have slightly differing traditions, but the objective is always the same: Food. I would like to take this opportunity to suggest a slight revision to Turkey Day. To most it may come across as blasphemy, but that's what I specialize in. Without further ado, I propose that you attempt a  Thanksgiving feast without the bird for once. Don't dismiss the idea as if it were a PETA advertisement. That's not the point I'm getting at. Basically, I'm daring you to be a culinary explorer. Seeks out delicious new recipes using fresh seasonal ingredients. Unless you're an absolutely horrid cook, there's no way you'll be disappointed in what autumn has to offer. Sweet potatoes, for example, are a veritable goldmine of vitamins and beta-carotene. What the hell are tomatillos? Go ahead and find out. Good food is the foundation of the holiday, but I feel as though a number of great dishes are neglected in favor of hackneyed traditional recipes. Who knows, you may discover flavors that make you forget turkey even exists.

So that's my challenge to you: celebrate friends and family with some adventurous new vegetable-based recipes. Preferably seasonal and local. Here's a great website to aid you in your quest for calories: http:www.vegetariantimes.com

And, hey, why not throw on some Johnny Flynn while you're cooking in the kitchen? It'll ward off any chill.

1 comment: