Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Let Me Introduce You To...

Beastwars.



They're a Kiwi band from the nation's capital, Wellington. While I had heard the name once or twice on the internet, I had never much taken notice of the band. That is until I chanced upon a gig poster, saturated in skulls and black ink, advertising for that very November evening in Palmerston North. I decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity. And I'm sure glad I didn't.

At first put off by the dingy pub vibes and the meager crowd, I managed to suffer through the opening acts with optimism. Admittedly, Bloodspry for Politics, despite their unimaginative moniker, cranked out some decent approximations of Cryptic Slaughter tunes.

Nonetheless, when Beastwars took the stage around 11pm, the atmosphere shifted palpably towards something near humble reverence. It was about to begin.



What followed was an hour of trance-like riff worship and inspired delivery. It was if I could do nothing but bang my head to every song. It was unbelievably contagious. Vocalist Matt Hyde appeared to have left his earthly body; eyes rolled back, head to the sky, beseeching the crowd with wild gestures. He was rapt. I was rapt. I didn't want it to end.

Walking out the front doors after the show that night, I felt as though ripped from a pleasant reverie. I wanted to remain among the pummelling riffs and the pervasive sense of mysticism. Even if my ears were ringing and I felt like I could faint from exhaustion. None of this dull, tepid reality.

That Beastwars gig, for me at least, felt like some sort of cathartic spiritual quest. I truly underestimated the power of their music and the force of their delivery. That's how we do shit in NZ.

Get lost in it.




http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment