Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Current Obsession #5

Everyone and their mother is going to love this.

I stumbled upon it a couple days ago. Don't ask me how. I can't even remember. But goodness gracious I'm glad I did. Cannelle et Vanille is the blog of a Basque expatriot now living and working in the US. It's full of beautiful, professional photographs of beautiful, professional-quality food. Makes my mouth water every time. But it offers much more than that as well. Through her posts I've gotten a glimpse into Basque culture and the ideals they embrace. And as I've come to find, I want nothing more than to be part of it.

There is a tremendous emphasis put on the family unit. There are routine gatherings and outings with all the different branches. Food is always an occasion, and the Basque know how to savor a meal. They eat seasonally and extremely local whenever possible. They even go mushroom hunting with grandparents. Basically, they enjoy amazing food, take care of themselves as well as one another, and simply know how to enjoy every day. You can just see the joy in the faces of the children. And can you imagine how well nourished they are in comparison to the average American child?

I'm probably idealizing the culture, but this is a lifestyle I hold in high regard. It is certainly different than what we find in the US. I'm rapt by its simplicity and attention to the small things in life. It's the kind of earthbound existence that I plan on pursuing. Food. Family. Friends. Fun.

I wish I could've grown up in a pastry shop as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment