Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Current Obsession #4

Right now, all I want to do is try some Smorrebrod. I've been hearing quite a bit about this traditional Danish open-faced sandwich lately, and it has simply captivated my attention in an odd way. I think it's the simplicity yet endless variety of its component parts. All it takes is a slice of bread, a bit of butter, and then whatever toppings you can manage to haphazardly stack on top. Usually smorrebrod is topped with cold meats or salmon, but its really at the mercy of the architect. My only problem, however, that pre-paid dining hall meal plans don't often lend themselves to bouts of culinary creativity. If I can get my hands on a slab of rye bread, some Danish cheese and a bit of salmon, I'll be able to rest easy. But for right now, my mind is whizzing with a million combinations that I'd like to taste.

As a note, the Danes are known for keeping their cuisine fresh and local; a practice we should all strive for. Our agricultural habits have a tremendous effect on environmental conditions after all. And as great as culinary diversity can be around the world, there's often much to be said about embracing well-worn traditions.

In the meantime, I'll sit here in Walla Walla, hankering for some authentic smorrebrod.

No comments:

Post a Comment