Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Project Gratification

I finished building my new steps! And they don't look half bad if you ignore the imperfections and don't inspect them too closely. But considering the adverse conditions under which they were built, and the fact that I have roughly zero experience in building, I'm rather please with how they turned out. The most gratifying thing however is feeling as though I'm having a positive impact on the farm and leaving a legacy of sorts for those to come to enjoy. Instead of a muddy slippery slope, which I personally fell down several times, they will instead have six well-spaced steps to glide up. I really don't understand the motivations to be rich and famous and powerful when so much joy can be derived from completing a simple project like this. I'm finding contentment in small victories and simple doings. I may not be working in a laboratory pipetting aliquots of the latest miracle drug or engineering some clever new contraption, or whatever else is considered a successful career path for a young professional my age and what many of my friends are pursuing. But I'm proud either way of the peaceful, rustic niche that I've crafted for myself here, where my impact is minimal and the birds sing all day long.

 In the beginning...
 In the end...
 Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment